Beetroot is being touted as an athlete superfood.
A study on the benefits of beetroot, conducted at St Louis University in America, found eating beetroot could improve your running speed by 3% for a 5km distance.
Beetroot is loaded with nutrients which are needed for energy production. It is an excellent source of iron which is particularly important to women and athletes.
Here’s a great salad recipe you can throw together after a workout or roll out at your next backyard get together. Friends always ask for this beetroot fetta salad recipe, so trust me it’s gone the distance.
Here is my Beetroot Fetta Salad Recipe:
Beetroot Fetta Salad: Ingredients
1 bunch beetroot (or tin baby beetroot)
100g fetta cheese
100g baby spinach, washed
50g pine nuts, lightly toasted
Beetroot Fetta Salad: Dressing
2tsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Sea salt and black pepper
Beetroot Fetta Salad: Directions
- Wash beetroot and boil in a saucepan for about 35-45 mins. Don’t peel or cut the end off yet as this will stop the juice from leaching out
- Once cooked and cooled gently remove the skin
- Add baby spinach to a salad bowl or platter
- Cut beetroot into pieces or slices
- Crumble over Fetta and pinenuts
- Mix all dressing ingredients and drizzle over the salad